Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV
Fourth generation professional audio interfaces
- New warm, open, detailed and musically sounding converters
- Integrated relay mute for analog outputs for thump/click free power up and down
- Fully calibrated analog I/O levels (round trips through the converters maintain level)
- Reduced converter latency
- Reduced power consumption and heat generation
Building upon the experience gained with the Mobile I/O 2882 and ULN-2, we set out to design an integrated product to literally provide the best performance in each of its component sections while still providing all of the benefits of tight integration in a single field-capable package. The ULN-8 is the result of that development program.
The ULN-8 incorporates a number of new Metric Halo Audio technologies including:
- 192k sample rate support for both Analog and AES Inputs and Outputs
- New DC-coupled, zero phase distortion, servo balanced Line Inputs and Outputs
- ULN-R next generation remote controlled preamp technology. The Mic Pres in the ULN-8 build upon the audio performance pioneered by the ULN-2 preamp design with the additional benefit and technological innovation of full clickless remote control of the ULN Mic pre. This is accomplished with a sophisticated gain switching mechanism which incorporates Metric Halo “zero-cross” technology.
- Fully clickless remote controlled Monitor outputs. All ULN-8 analog outputs incorporate Metric Halo clickless remote technology allowing for flexible monitoring applications from stereo to 7.1 surround.
By implementing all the functions of a complete audio front end in a single package, the ULN-8 is able to provide unprecedented power and quality in a lightweight, low-power consumption, single RU hardware unit. This integration provides significant benefits to the owner in the form of reduced cabling (lower cost, weight and less opportunity for failure), weight, power consumption, and cost, while at the same time providing unprecedented performance.
What does integration mean to you?
Rather than pay for duplicate case work, duplicate power supplies and redundant interconnects, you get a product where all the components are engineered to work together and everything you pay for is dedicated to providing functionality towards the execution of your task. But the benefits don’t stop there. By tuning all the functional blocks of the system and removing external interconnects, the ULN-8 provides enhanced performance and reduced chance of failure from external influences. Connectors and cables are all potential sources of failure and interference. By eliminating preamp to converter and converter to interface cabling, these sources of cost and potential failure and interference are also eliminated. Internal operating levels within the box are tuned for optimal performance.
The ULN-8’s integrated design provides maximal performance with a minimum use of material and power.
ULN-8 Key Benefits at a Glance
- Exceptional, Best-In-World, Archival Grade Converter Quality
- Exceptional, Boutique-Quality Mic Preamps
- Flexible, Integrated Analog-Domain Monitor Controller
- Universal Sample Rate Support
- Analog, AES and USB-C
- Rock Solid Stability: Mature, Real-World-Tested Firmware, Software and Drivers
- Instant Access to Tactile Controls
- Fully digital control for total recall, remote control and control surface support
- Comprehensive Precision Metering – so you always know what is going on
- Works with or without a Computer
- Metric Halo’s Exclusive Per-channel selectable Character – from ultra clean to nice and gooey
- Integrated ultra-low-latency instantiable processing with plenty of DSP power to run it
- Most Compact, Lowest Weight, Lowest Power and Lowest Price in its Class
With everything you need to record, mix, process, and master audio (just add your DAW of choice and transducers), the ULN-8 is your one-stop solution for recording, edit, mix and mastering suites. Even if there is no DAW present, the unit’s standalone operation and standard AES and analog interface allow you to use it as the Audio Front End and Monitor Controller for Pro Tools, standalone and PC based recording systems.
All these features make for an impressive package, but we’re just beginning. The ULN-8 is built around Metric Halo’s 3d DSP platform, giving you the power to run multiple mixers and plug-ins inside the box. It also includes a full +DSP license, giving you the ability to create powerful mixing, sound design and master plug-ins. Beauty and brains, in 1RU.
ULN-8 is the perfect tool for capturing audio wherever inspiration hits, in the studio or on the road. Well suited to any recording situation, you can record and edit on the road, in the hotel, on the airplane, or wherever inspiration hits. Use 3 ULN-8s chained together for 24 tracks of live concert recording with processing on all channels in 3 rack spaces. Location sound engineers can now capture the moment – anywhere, anytime.
When you’re done recording, use the ULN-8 in the studio as an extremely high quality audio interface to transfer your tracks into a DAW. You’ll be amazed at the sound of this box! And weighing only 6 pounds, and a little larger than a laptop, you can be the first one out of the gig, with no hassle.
The ULN-8’s archival grade inputs and outputs, coupled with Metric Halo’s exclusive Character processing, provide flexibility and sound quality unavailable on any other interface. You can transition from a wire-with-gain to a gooey tube pre with one click of the mouse, and every input can have the right character for the material you are recording.
The ULN-8 is the only unit in its class with an on-board processing engine that supports fully instantiable processing, allowing you to use Metric Halo’s world-renowned signal processing effects without sacrificing your computer’s processing power or introducing any additional latency in your monitor path. From MIOStrip to HaloVerb, the ULN-8 comes with a full +DSP license that provides all the basic production processing you need – and more. And remember, this one rack space audio interface has the ability to run entirely from any DC power source (16V-30V), making it truly and completely mobile.
A unique feature of the Mobile I/O system is that MIO’s work well individually or as a group. Mix and match ULN-8 with LIO-8, 2882 and ULN-2 units to create a system that meets your needs for track count and preamp power. Adding a unit to the system organically increases the DSP power of the system, so that your DSP always scales with your I/O. Break your system up for small gigs when playing out or add the units of your mates to build a huge system when required. By standardizing on the Mobile I/O platform, each member of the band can have ultimate quality while working alone, and the band can have huge track counts when playing together. You can’t lose!
Flexible signal routing and sophisticated patch and preset management systems as well as a comprehensive set of front panel controls are also featured in the ULN-8. The ULN-8’s front-panel controls allow the unit to function equally as well as a stand-alone Mic Pre/Converter system. In standalone mode, the ULN-8 operates with the converters directly routed to and from the AES I/O, and the analog domain sends allow purely analog operation of the preamps.
As a standalone converter, the ULN-8 provides a 24bit/192kHz eight channel front-end with 8 world-class boutique-quality ULN mic pres for any recording system. It also functions seamlessly as an analog monitor controller, making it ideal as a digital headphone amp and studio monitor controller.
The ULN-8 supports a variety of applications. For studio recording, it provides a very high quality interface to a DAW, offering sound processing or simple file transfer between workstations. Its exceptional sound quality makes it perfect as any studio’s primary analog to digital conversion and monitoring chain. Songwriters and engineers can use the ULN-8 to record and edit on the road, in the hotel, while traveling, or anywhere that inspiration strikes.
The ULN-8 is suitable for broadcast applications, too. It offers instant playback of 8 individual stereo sends for music cues or sound effects, or smaller numbers of surround stems. The compact package and portable power features mean that the unit can go anywhere users need to work, and make on-site fixes or edit location recordings without the need to send files back to the studio, saving valuable time before air.
In the live performance arena, in addition to operating as a remote recorder for archiving performances or to play out backing tracks and musical cues, the ULN-8 can operate as a soft-synth mixer and I/O interface.