Ear Trumpet Labs Mabel Multi-pattern studio condenser mic
Mabel is a hand-built multi-pattern condenser microphone utilizing two cardioid medium-large diaphragm (26mm) capsules, designed primarily for studio use on demanding sources like acoustic instruments, drum overheads, and vocals. Mabel features a unique copper-ringed head basket with brass grill work, held in a pivoting mount in a stainless-steel yoke, and a copper-and-brass body. The design is both visually stunning and extremely practical, as the pivoting head makes for easy positioning adjustments.
The capsules are a pair of fixed-cardioid electret condensers, individually tested and selected to match each other and strict design criteria. The circuit is a transformerless FET with fully balanced output, incorporating thorough EMI protection. Other electrical components in the signal path are highest quality metal film resistors, polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors, and individually tested, hand-matched and biased transistors and JFETs. Internal Sorbothane shock and vibration damping helps to minimize vibration noise.
The dual-cardioid-capsule design is an uncommon approach to a multi-pattern mic. It has advantages in an especially deep null at the sides of the figure 8 pattern and greater control over the directional frequency response across all the patterns. The circuit includes high frequency EQ tuned to the capsules provide a very smooth high end. The response is very flat, with full low end and controlled high end, with response dropping above 14K.
- Hand made studio condenser microphone with unique appearance.
- Dual fixed-cardioid large (26mm) diaphragm condenser capsules mounted in a pivoting head, with switchable pickup pattern (cardioid, figure-8, and omni).
- Internal shock dampers for minimal handling noise.
- Transformerless FET fully balanced electronics.
- Highest quality hand-wired electronic components – film caps, precision resistors, hand tested and matched transistors, with component values tuned for the individual microphone.
- 1″ body fits standard microphone clips.
- Dimensions: 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ x 1 3/4″; head is 2 1/2″ in diameter.
- Metal tool case with foam padding included, 11″ x 6″ x 3″.
- Requires 48V phantom power.