WEISS DAC1 MK3 D/A Converter
The Weiss DAC1-MK3 is a stereo 24 bit / 192khz D/A converter designed with the aim of keeping an absolutely un-compromised audio signal path. Much detail and thought was spent on the digital input as well as the analogue output stage. Both have in common the purest possible approach in audio design, aspiring for nothing less than excellence. This is coupled with an ergonomic design that gives the user immediate access to all necessary functions, while keeping an uncluttered and thus easy-to-use front panel. This combination makes a truly professional D/A converter catering for the highest expectations.
There are three digital inputs on XLR connectors, and one on Toslink (optical). The accepted sampling frequencies are 44.1, 48, 88.2. 96, 176.4 and 192kHz. AES/EBU signals on a single connector are used. Each XLR input is actively routed to a corresponding XLR digital output, allowing monitoring at multiple stages in a digital studio setup.
Several signal re-clocking schemes are combined for extremely high jitter attenuation, making the DAC1-MK3 virtually immune to jitter over a very wide bandwidth.
The correlation technique (using two converters per channel) which was already successfully employed in the ADC1 gives the DAC1-MK3 an edge over other D/A converters with equal word-length and sampling rate specifications, resulting in improved SNR and THD.
The discrete Class A outputs have a virtually zero Ohm output impedance, but still can drive large loads without stability problems. Output levels can be set between -infinity and +27dBu. The outputs are symmetrical, but do not have any sound degrading servo mechanisms built in. For asymmetrical operation only one leg of the XLR connector (plus ground) is used.
By hooking up an analog potentiometer or fader to the remote connector, the output level can be remote controlled. This level control happens in the digital domain. The input source selection can also be remote controlled.
- Four switches for input selection
- Six LEDs for sampling frequency display (44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192)
- Three LEDs for input word-length display (1..16, 17..20, 21..24 bits)
- One Emphasis LED
- Two 25 turn trim potentiometers for fine trimming the output level
- Three digital inputs on XLR
- One digital input on Toslink
- Three digital outputs on XLR, buffered from XLR inputs
- Two analog outputs (channel 1,2) on XLR
- Output level range switch (high / low) Remote connector with the following signals:
- Power supply to external faders
- Tapers from two external faders
- four input selection switches
- four LEDs for input selection switches